Saturday, July 20, 2013

10 volunteers? Are you crazy??!!

"How many people we will have at the same time? Ten??? Are you crazy...I will go away!!!" said my father when he finally realized how many volunteers we will have at the same time in our farm for 2,5 weeks. But that was one week before their arrival, not much he could do to prevent this happening anymore...

Today is Saturday, it's exactly 3 days since our farm turned into an international work camp with 10 people from many different countries. The work camp is organized by EstYes organization that sent us a nice selection of nationalities  - 2 Spanish, 1 Slovenian, 2 Chinese, 1 Korean plus Estonian group leader. And as we say in Estonia  - where there is some, there will be more - through workaway.com we received an Australian girl and from couchsurfing camp in Riga I invited to join us 2 italians who were on their way through Estonia on bycicles. This invitation took a lot of courage from my side, not knowing about the reaction of my sister and my father. Well...it all went good anyway, I started to laugh hysterically together with my mom while trying to tell the news to my sister and she thought that we are under some drug or alcohol, so realizing that it was just 2 more people, she took it quite easily and my dad just said that he will go with duty assignment to a foreign country for that time but of course he didn't do that. In stead he took a vacation from work to help us.
BEFORE 
Before the arrival of this big group we had "some" preparations to do...borrowing tents from friends and from army, buying mattresses and thinking through the rules, working and eating schedules, arranging work that volunteers can do and of course the most important - building a toilet outside. Choosing the place and getting the approval of all the family members took about the same time than building the toilet itself. The hole was dug by our wonderful Australian volunteers Rosie and Heds in half a day. They also made a smiley face of stones in there, not that anyone could see it after the toilet had put into use but we always know it's there:)
The most difficult part  - building the toilet itself on top of the hole  - was completed by Anu, my sister, who studies native construction. And the result is amazing  - the most beautiful toilet with the most beautiful view I have ever seen, and I know that I am not the only one who thinks that. You can get an idea how it looks like from here:





No comments:

Post a Comment