Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Adventures in the kitchen vol1

As I can't do much else in the country side yet (not much in the kitchen also as it turned out later), I was assigned to be in the kitchen with volunteers. To show where pots and pans are, to do the grocery list with them, to make sure they make enough food and be on time with lunch and dinner.
All this experience has been very "interesting". Well, actually it has been fun, surprising, stressful, instructive, heartwarming....and so much more. As overall experience with volunteers.

First day was covered, cause I let the Italians to stay in our farm with the promise to cook :P So they had no escape from that and the representatives of  pasta-pizza-macaroni country made a delicious pasta bolognese or ragu as they call it in Italian. It wasn't so perfect as they hoped it to be (I think they were just craving for compliments saying that) but everyone who ate it liked it a lot. So I think it's fair to say that they didn't bring any shame to their country and can still proudly call themselves Italians. 
And the Asian part of volunteers were very eager to take pictures of this historical moment  - Italian food for lunch that is made by real Italians:

For dinner we had Estonian cabbage soup made by Siiri, who should be Estonian and should not like spicy food. Siiri was even very sure that she doesn't use much pepper and doesn't like spicy for some very weird reason. But after eating her soup and living in the farm together I think the soup that would be too spicy for her is the soup that is pored into a pepper pot cause the soup had more pepper than poppy seeds cake has poppy seeds in it. Still most of us liked it and I loved it, cause I also like spicy food. Only Deja was mildly said a bit disappointed and made an announcement about it. First I was a bit annoyed about it, cause still Siiri made a big effort to cook and the tastes are different and its not possible to please everybody, at least an appreciation would be appropriate. But luckily everyone else told loudly that they like her food very much:)

Next day Deja volunteered to cook. We had oven potatoes, cucumber salad with vinegar (Slovenian way) and with sour cream (Estonian way) and for meat eaters I made minced meat sauce and Deja made sure vegetarians have something to eat - a cucumber sauce that was made with vinegar and sour cream. A very unusual way for us, but as I also love vinegar, I really liked it and wanna make it myself also. The cooking went quite smoothly I would say and lunch was very delicious. For dinner we had a lot of spicy cabbage soup still left but we added more water and cabbage and made it a bit less spicy. Siiri pored half of the pepper pot into her plate and was happy also. The lunch buffet looked like this:

Next day it was the time for Gi-Pum (Korean girl) to cook...I must admit I was a bit worried, cause the list of products she needed for food was pretty long and the amount of these products was unknown. So I had to use my expert knowledge from past years in food industry and make the calculations without knowing what exactly she will cook.....To be continued...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment