Monday, July 22, 2013

Thunder strike!

At 4am I woke up because of enourmous bang and heavy rain - the thunderstorm had struck.I usually have no problem sleeping through whatever but the worry about volunteers in the tents in thunderstorm made me sleepless, the same with my sister and also my mom woke up. I was imagining how all of the tents are leaking and all people are wet and unhappy and can't sleep because of the horrifying sounds and heavy heavy rain. I was waiting that at least some of them will run into the house wet and unhappy. It was even leaking in my room, it was a long storm....but nobody came and at about 6am I could sleep again, for some hours.

In the morning we were counting the damages...Zhang Liang was the only unhappy one, he was basically sleeping in a puddle cause his bed was under a window. He had woken up at 5am and totally wet but he was too tired to do much about it and kept on sleeping. Anu made a fire in sauna oven and everybody could dry their wet stuff in sauna.
Otherwise the second day passed already more smoothly, as an extra delicacy we had homemade pate from our lamb liver and fresh blueberry-strawberry jam, not together of course - jam for porridge and pate on bread.
As Albert was complaining about his aching back after the work with an axe, we gave him the job my grandmother is doing when she comes to farm to help us out - transferring yarn into a cone.
He hurt his finger with that also and wanted to take a flight back home but after learning the right work method, he was doing pretty good already. This is him working:
Deja had volunteered to be the cook in the kitchen for that day, we also signed Zhang Liang to assist her and wash the dishes, because of his leg and to keep him in a warmer place after getting wet in the night. Outside weather was still more like autumn with rain and wind and degrees just a bit higher than 10. Welcome to Estonian summer -  yeah, of course we have a summer in Estonia but I was at work at that day.
For lunch I was the most amazed about the vegetarian dish - Deja made a warm sour sauce from cucumbers, it was very tasty and I really want to make it again some day.
Our lunch table was this time inside as it was still pouring rain and we had a bit less people:

We had to say goodbye to our lovely Italianos before lunch already as they carried on towards our capital Tallinn.Without Danieles explanation how to use the pepper pot (at the dinner before Daniele had explained in detail how to use it without putting too much of it) Albert was so lost...he pored so much pepper into his soup that it was totally black and he had to through it away. I'm sure Siiri would have loved to eat that soup anyway but as both of us are slow Estonians, we didn't think of that before the next day. For the ones who don't know her well enough - she likes her food black. That means covered with black pepper.

In the evening we had sauna with girls, Deja was telling that in her country Slovenia having a sauna is such a luxury and only rich people do it, and at our place it was her 3rd time to have sauna at all in her whole life. I felt much more privileged after that and a bit sorry for her cause I can't imagine my life without a sauna, even if its very warm outside...So, we did almost the whole experience with hot sauna and my favorite beer - on the stones and down to our throats.This is our sauna from a picture before the war:

Just before going to bed, somebody was knocking on the door quickly and loudly and then the door opened and Albert ran in and started to blabber nervously: "There are 2 cats in my tent, they are scary and watching me with their shining eyes..." I didn't understand what he wants me to do....and I just couldn't stop laughing cause he looked quite ridiculous but I understand, I can look ridiculous also when a spider comes suddenly somewhere near me...so I kept apologizing about me laughing and tried to find out what he wants me to do...and why he didn't kick them out. The thing was that he was alone in the big tent and he really was afraid of cats. So I went to his tent, looked around with a flash light many times, didn't find any cats and taught to Albert to say: kshshsshhhh to cats when they decide to return. I must admit...the cat looks pretty scary indeed:







1 comment: